Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 10.01.2007 

Crappy Birthday To Me!

Ok, so I had postponed my birthday until today so that I could celebrate by having my tubes tied ("coiled"). So, even though we got back from Yarn School at 1 a.m. this morning and to sleep at 2 a.m., Hubby and I hoisted our butts up at 6:30 a.m. to get to my appointment on time. Everything went really well until the actual procedure, which I don't remember. Here's what I do remember:

Me: (thinking) I'm so tired. I'll just rest my eyes while they set up.

[odd half-dreams about the nurses wearing hawaiian mumus and me stumbling over mossy logs along a forest path]

Me: I think I'm falling asleep before the anesthesia.

Ms. Anesthesiologist: I did put something in your drip to make you relax.

Me: This shit is AWESOME.

[nurses laugh]

Next thing I know I'm waking up and I can't breathe. It's like asthma times 100. They've got an oxygen mask on me and people are rushing around saying things like "cc's" and "stat!" Can't breathe, can't breathe, and my mouth is completely bone dry. There's a tube down my throat. I am consciously moving my diaphragm to pull in air (or at least I think I am, I'm still completely groggy), but it's not enough. It felt like it took forever before I wasn't drowning anymore. A nurse helps me take two hits of albuterol (asthma inhaler). A few minutes later I am able to take another two hits on my own. La Otra Doctora comes over and tells me that she's really sorry, but I had a blockage in one of my fallopian tubes and they weren't able to insert the coils.

It took about an hour to get fully cognizant after the anesthesia. My saliva glands had left the building and I was sucking ice chips constantly to compensate. My throat was sore (still is, actually) from the breathing tube. I wasn't dizzy (good) and only very slightly nauseous for a few minutes (also good). I was able to get dressed with minimal help from Hubby, and walk down the hall and pee by myself. I was, however, freeeeeeeeezing. Apparently they gave me something special for my BP which brought it down to 90-ish/50ish (preop, it was 132/90, which for me isn't too bad) but it was making me cold. La Otra Doctora came back over and talked to us again, apologized again, but she didn't want to puncture my guts and send me into septic shock (which I can appreciate). Hubby drove me home and I set Prius-san's thermostat to 80. Then I crashed out until now.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Labels: ,

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  4:40 PM   6 comment(s)

6 Comments:

I'm so glad you're ok, although very sorry there is no fallopian coiling for you.

Was it a reaction to the anethesia?

And when did you get a Prius? And why didn't you tell me about it? And I'm asking a lot of questions.

By Blogger Colleen, at 6:23 PM  

OMG, I am so sorry. What happens now?

By Blogger robyn, at 7:27 PM  

I'm so sorry, Zabet. I hope they can give you some other options that will work for you. You're in my thoughts.

By Blogger Dana, at 8:23 PM  

:(

By Blogger robiewankenobie, at 11:37 PM  

Oh, I'm so sorry. That sucks. :(

By Blogger Janis, at 11:01 AM  

My nurse stepmom says that waking up with an asthma attack is pretty common for asthmatics who go under. I've been under twice before and it hadn't happened then, though. Must have just been the mix?

By Blogger Zabet, at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet