Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 9.29.2008 

Hooray for Harveyville

I just got back from my second annual pilgrimage to Harveyville, KS for Yarn School.

This year I drove, and boy, it was not fun. The trip takes about 12 hours once you factor in potty breaks and refueling. To get there at a decent hour on Thursday I had to leave home at about 5am. I got to see a pretty sunrise in my rearview mirror, though.

Indiana


Other than being tired, things were ok (if boring) until I hit Kansas, where I promptly got lost on some back roads. Or, should I say, until Kansas hit me. A Kansan named Staci.

Topeka, KS


To be fair, an asshole in a green car pulled out in front of her and she slammed on her brakes to avoid rear-ending him, but it caused her car to swerve into my lane. The driver didn't stay on the scene, either. Thankfully, no one was hurt and both cars were drivable. It's just frustrating because that was a NEW car, too. I eventually made it to Harveyville, though.

Harveyville Rural High School


So did Clarine and her friend Denise, who drove about 7 hours up from Texas. We then proceeded to have lots of fiberlicious fun. First, we dyed stuff. I dyed some yarn and some superwash merino roving.

Yarn I Dyed (Close Up)


I didn't like the way the superwash came out... even thought I spent a LOT of time on it drying to get complete saturation. (Superwash is wool that has been treated in an acid bath to burn off the little hooks on the fibers that makes wool felt. It's machine washable, hence the name. However, the treatment damages the fiber and it sucks up more dye than its untreated counterpart -- the same as bleached hair will soak up more dye than previously untreated hair on humans.) But this is the beauty of fiber: you can try several things to "fix" mistakes (like over-dyeing), or as a last resort SOMEONE will like it better than you. I had hope for the roving, so I decided to drum card it into batts. Several hours and many pints of sweat later, I had 8 gorgeous batts ready for spinning.

Batt-Making (Flash) Batt-Making Closeup (Natural Light)


Also we did the usual trips to the Wildcat Hollow Alpaca Farm and had pygora goats and angora bunnies brought in to teach us about different kinds of fiber. The bunnies just always look supremely uncomfortable to me under all that hair. But the goats are so cute!!!

Wookie the Goat Willow the Goat Winnie the Goat Yoda the Goat

Labels: , , ,

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  10:10 PM   1 comment(s)

1 Comments:

Aw, poor car! At least all folks and cars were fine. Eee goats and troll hair! I just read an article in Spin-off about Pygora and am more interested in them now.

By Blogger Janis, at 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet