Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 9.24.2008 

The "Keen" in Quinoa

Pre-Yarn School recap time!

Friday we played Rock Band and created characters for a Sabbat campaign with the usual group of rockers/roleplayers. Yes, we'll be running two campaigns at once. I suspect I've only been invited because I was taking notes in the first campaign and they are hoping this will translate over into the second. ;)

Saturday was LPP and G's wedding, which was short and sweet (heavy on the Jesus, which is funny given that they are so not into the Jesus -- amazing what people do to please their parents, eh?). I called it the Mazon-Dixon wedding; LPP's family is New York Greek and G's is Mississippi White Bread. I knew LPP and I were simpatico, but the food at the reception proved it: garlic-encrusted roasted pork tenderloin sandwiches, tomatoes with fresh mozz and basil, hummus with more fresh veggies than you could possibly imagine... it could have been our menu if we hadn't gone the Indian route. P and R were also there, which lead to (you guessed it) post-wedding Rock Band bliss.

Pappas and Her Dad


Sunday we visited my dad to celebrate his birthday (Hi, Dad!) I've got this fantastic picture of him sticking pens up his nose that I'd like to put here, but I don't think he'd appreciate it, so you'll have to use your imaginations. C made a huuuuuge, yummy veggie lasagna and after the ricotta settled we piled into the Prius to get ice cream. (Yes, we remembered to turn off the Smart Key before dad got near the car.) We watched a couple of movies, one of them was Aeon Flux, which wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. It was a little odd to watch Aeon taking part in a plot that was so... linear, but it was refreshing as well. I was surprised she didn't die at the end (or at least they didn't play on that, making us think she's dead but then she's not or something), especially since they opened with the fly-in-the-eye gag.

I now interrupt this blog post to bring you shoe pr0n.
Shoe pr0n

As you were.

Last night I made our traditional black bean soup but served it over quinoa rather than rice. Quinoa, if you don't know, is an edible seed native to South America that you can boil like rice. It's very high in protein and fiber for a grain-like food, making it more nutritious (and with a lower glycemic index) than rice.

Since it was my first time making it I just did what I normally would have done with the rice. 1-quinoa:2-water, a dash of salt, a small pad of butter, some whole cumin seeds (1/2 tsp or so), and 3-4 whole garlic cloves; boil the water, add everything, stir, cover and lower heat to simmer. It took about 15 minutes and the result was wonderfully fluffy and chewy. The taste is similar to brown rice (slightly nutty) with a very light flavor of freshly snapped green beans. When I get back from Yarn School I want to try making a chicken-greenbean-tomato-rice casserole that my mom used to make with quinoa instead of rice. I suspect it will be delicious.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  12:23 PM   3 comment(s)

3 Comments:

Quinoa is also insanely high in calcium, something like 4X the calcium in milk which is what made me start eating it. My favorite is quinoa covered with steamed mustard greens, sprinkled with nutritional yeast and squirted with a bit of tamari. It is probably the only thing that healthy that I really crave, all other health foods must be force fed.

By Blogger robyn, at 2:04 PM  

I've got some quinoa around and I think I'll try cooking it up like rice next time! Friend got it and cooked it up as a breakfast cereal and threw nuts (not for Zabu) and black berries in it. I recently did a rice pilaf with bulgur wheat instead of rice and it was nummy.

By Blogger Janis, at 4:33 PM  

Friday we played Rock Band and created characters for a Sabbat campaign with the usual group of rockers/roleplayers. Yes, we'll be running two campaigns at once.

Thank you, Zabet. Your geekdom makes me feel almost normal. :)

By Blogger Kim Colley, at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet