Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 9.03.2008 

A Name For It

I think this might just be a clue.

I've always thought of myself as either an extreme night owl with random bouts of insomnia or as simply living on the wrong planet with a day cycle too short to accommodate both my love of a good long sleep and all the energy I have when I wake up from one. But the fact is that even if I say up until 2 or 3am and get only four hours of sleep one night, the next night I am getting a second wind around 9pm. These "second winds" are when I'm most focused, most productive, and most creative. In college I could pull endless nights of them (with only the occasional truly bad decision-making side-effect; yes, my first marriage). Now, not so much. Two or three "normal" nights for me and the next night I collapse for about 12 hours. That's aging, that's fine. Expected, even. But the fact remains that I am utterly useless at work before 10am (and am lucky to roll my ass in by 9am every morning when I should be there at 8am -- thank you, Universe, for a flexible workplace) and every night when I should be thinking about winding down and going to bed I find myself thinking, I could make those seitan sausages for Hubby, or I could throw in a load of laundry, or Just another 20 rows before bed, that'll get me to the cuff, or I should really balance the checkbook. Ok, not that last one, because balancing the checkbook is something I do weekdays during lunch. (Yes, EVERY DAY. Because it's the smart thing to do.)

Add this to my previous comments about my dream cycle always occurring when I should be waking up, and I wonder what you get.

The next logical step (other than mentioning this to my doctor) would be to find a job that allows me to work on an unusual schedule... but I'm loathe to give up my best hours to someone else's work. Catch-22.

[Edited to add: I wrote this after only reading the introductory paragraphs of that Wikipedia article. I just finished reading the whole thing and I can't tell you how many times I thought, "This is me!"]

Labels:

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  9:50 AM   1 comment(s)

1 Comments:

I feel like I have some symptoms of this too. I have done fairly well, however, rescheduling my clock with Benadryl and melatonin. If it were up to me, my bedtime would never be earlier than 1 am. I'm sleeping at least 11 hours on weekends.

By OpenID colleenanne, at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet