Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 3.24.2009 

Sore Shoulder

But well worth it. We used some of our tax return money to get musical. Hubby got an inexpensive starter electric guitar, and I got the crazy drum controller for Rock Band. (It's basically an electric drum that uses the game as a drum brain. If I get good, next year I can buy an actual brain and play sans a pixelated avatar.)

Parts of using the new controller are natural - hitting the high hat with my right hand while my left hits the snare, for example. Other parts are very UNnatural - like the game not caring if I hit my crash cymbal or my low tom, because they translate to "she hit the green button" for it. So, if I want to play more realistically, I have to either know or anticipate where I'm going in the song. This isn't impossible, but it IS one more thing to pay attention to. Line of green quarter notes with a red (snare) played every 4th beat? I should probably play the cymbal. One hit on each color note ending in two greens? That's probably a fill down the toms ending with a crash. It makes for even more braining during play than I'm used to, but it still so effing fun I can't hardly stand it.

The set is also just physically bigger, wider, than the original controller. That's where the sore shoulder comes into play. Not too sore, not so sore that it's not fine the next day, but sore enough that I realize I'm having to reach to hit the low tom or the crash. Short arms are a handicap for a drummer. Not insurmountable, but noticeable.

I LOVE IT.

Hubby is facing his own challenges on guitar. He's played a little bass, so he's slightly familiar with it, but there are more strings than he's used to. Also, he's got small hands for a guy (no, he's not a carnie), so he doesn't have a much reach as, say, my brother would. Finger strength is also an issue, but nothing that won't improve with practice.

We're practically a band! Hell, we're practically The White Stripes, minus the divorce, hee.

Labels: , ,

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  7:47 PM   0 comment(s)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet