Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 8.24.2009 

"Would you like to play Global Thermonuclear War?"

...is what Hubby asked me last night as I unboxed my new pressure cooker. (Presto, 8qt, stainless steel, if you are keen on pressure cookers.) "I mean," he continued, correcting himself, "are you going to cook something?"

Americans, it seems, are trained to fear pressure cookers. I only finally bought one under pressure from my Naughty Indian Coworker. Her argument: "My pressure cooker comes from a third-world country and its not killed anyone yet." Surely, I thought, modern first-world pressure cookers are no longer the deathtraps we've been lead to believe they are. (They're not. Apparently the Swiss redesigned them. Go Swiss!)

So I pretty much bought one that was as large as I could afford without being aluminum. This is both a nod to my mother's fear of developing Alzheimer's and a silent prayer that some day I'll have a kitchen with an induction cooktop, which requires either cast iron or stainless steel. The brand had good reviews both about the product and the customer service from the company.

I soaked a mix of kidney, black, and pinto beans yesterday, meaning to try the cooker out this evening, but I couldn't wait. At 1am, in went the beans, a large can of diced tomatoes, a roughly chopped Vidalia onion and green pepper, two hastily minced cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of ground cumin (which was all I had; must remember to buy more), two teaspoons of salt, and three tablespoons of chili powder.

I won't lie, I was extremely nervous while I heated it to full pressure. But everything seemed to be going by what the instruction manual and Naughty Indian Coworker had said. Seven minutes later, I removed the pot from the heat and Hubby and I watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory while it cooled.

Best chili I've ever made, hands down—eating some right now for lunch! I am totally in love with this little shrapnel grenade wannabe. Hello, new friend!

Labels:

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  11:46 AM   2 comment(s)

2 Comments:

How about a nice game of chess?

My only real impression of pressure cookers comes from Breakfast at Tiffany's, so I don't feel qualified to make an assessment. I do think the rest of the world is more nimble than America--we tend to completely abandon things that scare us, while the rest of the world makes improvements in them. Witness the IUD, for example.

By Blogger Ann, at 1:18 PM  

Hm, this is tempting....

By Blogger Janis, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet