Zabatious Blog.  Click here to skip side menu and go directly to the main body. fuck the
mainstream

activist gig



what was it I was doing again?


Recently Read

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Bossypants
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales
Death Masks
Summer Knight
One Salt Sea
Grave Peril
Late Eclipses
All That Lives Must Die
An Artificial Night
Fool Moon
A Local Habitation


}


on the needles
ravelry

in my head
stache addict

their lives
lonck
ninja journalist
red head press
colleen anne
the cunning james
inky knits
newsbug
d'wan's brain
woollywormhead
skeinspotting
elysse
high vark
gringa.org
the capacious hold-all
me(ish)
abbie the cat
no impact man
starting from scratch

stitch 'n bitch army
the gogok
knitting knurse
gambling & whoring
robiewankenobie
can't sit still
miss knit
knits and pieces
magic knitter
sweet little domestic life
starfallz
transference of addiction
knittinology
danadana

currently stalking
amanda palmer
clarine harp
brenda dayne
franklin habit
stephanie pearl-mcphee
tim ralphs

ikea dreams
1 mandal bed
1 mandal wardrobe
1 ethel rund shower curtain

me like-y!
male contraceptives
another girl @ play
melanie mauer photography
le cadavre exquis
unamerican activities
christmas resistance
all about my vagina
voluntary human extinction movement








Honorary Kiwi

did I do that?
The AntiCraft
nz in 2003
life with nadja
wish list
Zabet Groznaya

btw, I power Blogger

and you are visitor #
Site Meter
since 02.01.01

design © 2002-2007 by
zabet.groznaya at gmail dot com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

.: 11.01.2012 

Forget Christmas

Halloween just isn't the same without you, Dad.

I saw my very first horror movie at the tiny theater on Camp Stanley (near Uijongbu, South Korea). My dad took me; my mom never liked horror flicks.  We saw The Gate, and I got in at the kid's rate even though I was 13. Being short and having such a round face, I've always looked a lot younger than I am. I remember being offended that I wasn't recognized as a proper teenager, but dad and I both felt like we were getting away with something big by saving two or three dollars.

The movie was probably terrible, I really don't remember, and after my experience of viewing The Monster Squad as an adult, I'm not terribly keen on going back and seeing how The Gate has held up over the years. But I was hooked. And ever since that night in 1987, horror flicks were our thing.

My dad and I fought a lot. It's because we were so much alike. I didn't really understand that until I was in my late twenties. At one point we stopped speaking to each other for about three years. Then he called me, it must have been my birthday or Christmas or something, and he said, "I don't remember what we were fight about. Truce?" I said, "As long as I don't have to apologise or admit any wrongdoing." He laughed and said, "Ok, but neither do I." And we picked right back up where we left off, two peas in a pod.

After that fight, the one that left us so determined to be the person who ignored the other the hardest for three years, horror flicks and Halloween melded together. I wanted to escape the trick-or-treaters, so I (and usually my husband at the time) would pack off to Dad's house for 12-14 hour horror movie marathons.  One year we watched every single movie in the Halloween franchise in a row.

I love my dad, and I miss him so much. It's getting easier, especially once I got over that one-year mark. But it's never going to be better. It's never going to be the same. And I'm always going to have the nagging worry in the back of my head that maybe he didn't know how much I loved him.

So please go tell your people that you love them. Tell them loudly and often. Tell them even when you're fighting with them; maybe especially when you're fighting with them.

Blessed Samhain, everyone.

thus proclaimeth the Zabet  1:33 PM  








New Wizard Rock Shirts!
by Zabet